About the ESL Program
Hurstville Adventist School provides an integration and literacy program for international students. The program supplies small group English tuition, for up to 2 hours a week, for students who need the extra support. We endeavor to bring each child’s standards of literacy up to the levels within the NSW literacy benchmark range, appropriate to the expectations of their grade level.
• We use a variety of teaching methods including games and activities.
• Our course covers speaking, listening, reading and writing. This includes grammar, pronunciation and vocabulary development.
• The NSW ESL syllabus is used as a guide.
• Students are able to attend and be integrated in a regular school environment while receiving ESL support.
• Students are able to practice conversational English through interaction in the regular school program
• Aside from being in their specialist language classes, students are able to participate in the regular school program that includes sports, excursions, assemblies and special events such as Open Days and carnivals.
• Small group tuition allows students to receive individual attention (maximum of 10 students per class).
Who can attend?
• Students of any language group/culture.
• This is specifically designed to support overseas students only.
• Only primary school aged children are permitted (students between 5 and 12 years old).
Students with a basic knowledge of the English language are preferred, but all applications will be considered.
Fully Integrated Overseas Students
If students already have English language competence, an entrance assessment is required. If they meet the required literacy standard for their grade level, they can enroll directly into our regular school program without participating in the ESL program.
Please call (02) 9580 5794 for more information regarding our ESL Program.